Plaque erected by FCHSM at Hart Plaza to honor those who accompanied Cadillac to Detroit on 24 July 1701
On 18 May 2002, the plaque honoring the 52 known French and French-Canadian voyageurs and hired men, and the soldiers who accompanied Antoine Lamothe, Sieur de Cadillac, to Detroit on 24 July 1701 was dedicated. The plaque is next to the Cadillac statue and the state historical marker in Hart Plaza, Detroit. To our knowledge, this is the only historical plaque in the state of Michigan erected by a genealogical society.
Monument at Mount Elliott Cemetery to honor the dead parishioners of Ste. Anne's
On Saturday, 24 July 2010, the 309th anniversary of the founding of the city of Detroit, FCHSM members gathered at Mount Elliott Cemetery in Detroit to witness the dedication and blessing by Edmond Cardinal Szoka, former Archbishop of Detroit, of a monument donated by FCHSM to commemorate and honor all the dead from the Church of Ste. Anne de Detroit whose remains lie buried in Section A of the cemetery.
You can read more about the history of the prior burials of the parishioners and the memorial in the following article. The article was one of two articles selected as the best article of the year for 2010.
Gail Moreau-DesHarnais' photo of the memorial at Mt. Elliott Cemetery taken 24 July 2010
Suzanne Boivin Sommerville’s 18 July 2015 photo of the rededication of the memorial at Mt. Elliott Cemetery. FCHSM Vice-President Barbara Fried emceed the event. Father Leo Petrimoulx blessed the memorial. The flag belongs to FCHSM member David Martin who was recovering from surgery, but arranged for his flag to be brought to the ceremony.
Suzanne Boivin Sommerville brings the flowers every year. Following is her explanation of the flowers chosen: The colors are, of course, blue and white. White carnations are sometimes called dianthus, which means flower of God, and the blue irises rightly represent the fleur de lis, emblem of France and New France, Canada, and even the modern Province of Québec where so many of our cousins live.
The delphiniums, a plant that is native to North America, remember the many Native Americans who were part of the society of Detroit and who were buried from Ste. Anne de Detroit in consecrated ground. And, finally, babies’ breath commemorates the hundreds of babies and children who died so young, innocent ones whose lives were cut short.
Photo on the right: Rosemary Kirt's 18 July 2015 photo of Fr. Leo Petrimoulx laying Iris on the memorial.
FCHSM thanks Rosemary Kirt for all of her hard work coordinating the events each year.
On 7 April 2015, Gail Moreau-DesHarnais discovered that François Rivard signed the contract for the first convoy to Detroit. His name, therefore, should be included on the plaque. See the translation of the first contract to Detroit on The Fur Trade Page: http://www.habitantheritage.org/french-canadian_resources/the_fur_trade
Loraine DiCerbo's photo of the English text of the plaque erected by FCHSM to honor the voyageurs, hired men, and soldiers who accompanied Cadillac to Detroit
Loraine DiCerbo's 20 July 2010 photo of the reverse side of the memorial at Mt. Elliott Cemetery